Monday, November 10, 2008

What's the Best Age to Get Married??

If you are searching for your soulmate, then chances are you want to get married.

And you probably know that in the US, people are getting married for the first time later and later. Now, the average is up to 26 for women, 28 for men.

Is this good or bad?

A USA Today article debated the pros and cons today, with no clear winner. See article here: Sooner vs. Later?

Here's how I'm weighing in: Waiting is smart.

Personally, I think that for most people, waiting until the late 20's, early 30's is a good idea.

Let's face it, before that, you've got a lot of growing up to do. And you do a lot of changing.

When I think about it, who I was at 23 doesn't look a hell of a lot like who I was at 33. And if I care to admit it, I would have done a piss poor job of picking a mate that had a chance of lasting a lifetime!!

If I picked back then, chances are we'd be out of sync now, perhaps having grown in different directions.

Hey, if you are only gonna pick once a lifetime, then I say, why not wait until you KNOW WHO you are!! So you know WHAT YOU NEED.

And can make a smart choice that includes both your head and your heart!

Just my two cents! I'm glad I waited.

Readers: What do you think is the best age to wed??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article. As the information age disrupts how we live our lives, the whole concept of marriage needs to be reconsidered. I hope to get married someday before I'm 35, but at 29, my search for even a good monogamous relationship has been frustrating.